Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tub Toys & Plastic Bins


I remember finding out I was pregnant for the first time. Boy, was I excited, nervous and sick. After the hugs, congratulations and questions ("How'd you find out?".... "When are you due?") the WARNINGS came. 1. Kid's are so expensive! 2. Ya better start saving for college now! 3. Wait until they can walk! (or drive, or date) But the one thing nobody ever mentioned to me was the mess. The sticky glaze, crunchy stuck things, crayon marks, tub toys and unimaginable amounts of plastic bins covering every inch of my home. Bins for race cars, bins for Legos (OUCH, if you step on one!), bins for art supplies, bins for hats and mittens, bins for bins! Only 7 short years ago - I hadn't even heard of "Rubbermaid Stackable Bins". Back in that life -everything smelled good, was neatly folded and put away. My dishes matched. The fancy glasses weren't plastic sippy cups of every color (with missing lids). My fridge was in order: salad mix, tofu, wine, fruit - maybe some lunch meat and soy milk. Today: 100 juice boxes, cheese sticks, a few 1/2 eaten things wrapped up for later, pudding cups, science experiements and milk. Just stepping into the tub takes some fancy foot work trying to avoid all the army men and squirt guns. Cleaning when your children are young is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. But, dispite the complaining - I wouldn't change it for the world!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that mysterious sticky coating that adorns almost everything I own. Nice.
    Oh, and there's a half finished game of tic tac toe in permenent marker on my front door. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete