Tuesday, October 27, 2009

No Shoes, No Shirt - No Problem!


I never thought I'd be the kind of girl who would actually enjoy country music. But, I kind of do these days and here's why. A few years back when Pete & I lived in Franklin, NH - a small town between two valleys - only a few radio stations came in clear enough to listen to and one was ALL COUNTRY, ALL THE TIME. I used to be the girl who made fun of country. Thought it was all white-trash, red-neck, hill-billy, banjo, bubba bluegrass CRAPOLA! It was all the same. It sucked, with no wiggle room as far as I was concerned. In my mind, every song was about sick dogs, gun racks, corn fields and confederate flags flying. Typical Stereo-Types. It's a tough pill to swallow - but I stand corrected. The first country song I remember sitting and listening to was "God's Will" by Martina McBride. I could still cry thinking about that freaking song. It haunts me. Many other heartfelt songs have followed. I stopped hearing the melody, and started listening to the words. The great thing about country music is I'm never embarrassed by the words in front of my kids. No F-bombs, "Niggas", "Whore's", Baby-daddy ghetto shit. No "poor me, my life sucks and everyone in it sucks". With country there are no surprises - just heartfelt advice, encouragement, and well-told stories about everyday situations. If it's broke - fix it. If your heart is breaking - talk about it. If your tired and stressed raising small children - don't wish it away - your going to miss it. Country music is like Seinfeld. You can relate, even in the smallest way. Keith Urban's "Only you can love me this way"... Are you serious?  Or "There Goes my life" by Kenny Chesney? Now that I have children of my own - I get it. These days, country music brings forward new pictures in my mind (not the gun racks and burning crosses of 10 years ago). Now, its sipping lemonade out of mason jars, catching fireflies with my sons, and spending quality time with the people I love.  Maybe one day, I'll hate country music again but during THIS particular chapter, it's just about right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment